When we had 4 kids at home I often wanted to buy extra when there was a good sale, but, I was always afraid it would spoil before we would use it. So, I learned a lot about what I could freeze.
My Mom had a deep freeze growing up and froze stuff, but it was like ice cream and frozen veggies, there are SO many more things I NEVER knew you could freeze!
21 Grocery Items You Can Freeze
We have/had 2 refrigerators and 2 deep freezers at all times. I always kept the deep freeze and 1 fridge outside and then 1 fridge inside in the kitchen.
We recently moved and I now have 2 fridges in the kitchen and 1 deep freeze in the laundry room, and even with just the youngest left at home we still stay pretty stocked up on everything.
I do coupon shop so that is how we do it! I thought I would share with you 21 grocery items I have had success in freezing.
What leads me to freeze so many food items is because it keeps food fresh for a long time by extending its shelf life.
This is a great way to have good quality food for long periods of time.
Food Items I Have Successfully Frozen
Just remove some before you freeze it, it will leak out the top as it expands while freezing. Sometimes you may have to shake it after thawing if it separates
2. Tub Margarine/Butter
I freeze these all the time. Depending on the brand and kind I may have to re-whip it when it thaws because it separated, but that takes just a few minutes and it tastes great!
I freeze cheese, too. block or shredded. No problems.
Be sure it stays on top so it doesn’t get smooshed 🙂
9. Cream Cheese
I used to do some decorating and I will tell you there is nothing more moist than a cake iced while still frozen (which is easier by the way) and then allowed to thaw under the icing! Try it!
11. Stick Margarine/Butter
12. Cookie Dough
You Might Also Like: 10 Fruits & Vegetables You Can Freeze & How
18. Homemade ice cream
19. Chicken breasts
20. Canned biscuits
Depending on the brand sometimes they don’t rise as high as they do before they are frozen.
21. Wholly Guacamole
It thaws out easy and tastes great.
A lot of times I find a canned ham that is cheaper, once sliced, than lunchmeat. I usually find a canned ham around 5 lbs and take it to the deli or butcher and ask them to slice it for me (they will do it free of charge) and then I take it home and re-package it in smaller packages and freeze the individual packages.
Eggs a a little more work – never freeze them in the shell – but you can break them open and whip them together and then you can freeze them. I have heard people who pour them in to ice cube trays and cover them with plastic wrap.
Of course, you know you can freeze leftovers or even “freezer cook”. I cook large amounts of:
- Mini Meatloaves
- Chicken, Casseroles
- Taco Meat
- pretty much anything
I then take them and separate them in a family serving size and freeze them. Then on nights when we don’t feel like cooking or don’t have a lot of time, we just pick something out of the freezer and we’re set in minutes!
I usually keep my open Chips in the fridge to help keep them crisp longer – but, I have heard that you can freeze them with great success! Hope this helps!
Best Method For Freezing Food
What I’ve Tried
- Aluminum foil
- Plastic freezer bags
- Freezer paper
- Plastic bags
- Plastic freezer wrap
- Wax paper
- Butcher paper
- Paper cartons
- Glass canning jars
What I learned from trying all of these different ways it that the right containers are a great choice over things like plastic wrap, or tin foil. They work with every type of food since they come in a variety of sizes, saving me freezer space.
Plus, the best way to avoid freezer burn or excess air getting to your food is by picking the right containers.
You Might Also Like: 7 Ways To Organize Your Fridge
What To Look For In Proper Freezer Storage
- An airtight seal
- Airtight lids
- A silicone seal
- In various sizes
- Durable containers
- In the best materials
- Freezer proof
- Freezer safe containers
List Of The Best Freezer Containers Below
Freezer Proof Glass Meal Prep
- 10 PACK GLASS MEAL PREP CONTAINERS: With 5 packs 34oz containers and 5 packs 13oz containers, they are perfect for meal prepping. Stay healthy and save time by cooking and freezing your meals for later.
- HIGH QUALITY BOROSILICATE GLASS:Our glass storage containers are made from high quality borosilicate glass, which is stronger than cheaper glass food storage containers, go straight from the refrigerator to the microwave or oven to the table.
- AIRTIGHT SMART-LOCKING LIDS: MCIRCO Glass food storage containers use snap lock lids that comes with silicone seals to ensure your meal prep food will last much longer than normal plastic food storage containers. These lids are easy to use and will stop leaking. These lids will not break or slowly stop working.
- FOOD GRADE & BPA FREE: Easy to use and easy to take care of, as it can be used in the microwave, freezer, dishwasher, and oven. Take off the lids before placing in dishwasher, oven and microwave for better maintenance.
- 100% CUSTOMER SATISFACTION: If you receive cracked products or you are not 100% satisfied with our products, please feel free to contact our customer service. We will provide the best solution for you within 24 hours
Silicone Soup Tray
- Freeze food in perfect portions – Great for bone broth servings, recipes, meal prep, and portion-controlled meals
- Compartments have four fill lines: ½ cup, 1 cup, 125 mL, 250 mL – Each tray makes four 1 cup or 250 mL cubes
- Clear tight fitting lid keeps food fresh, prevents freezer odor, facilitates easy stacking
- 100% FDA Food Grade Silicone: BPA Free – Dishwasher Safe – Oven Safe (not the lid)
- Dual use: Freezing and Baking. Oven safe up to 415 degrees ( Do not bake the lid)
Stainless Steel Food Storage
- FOOD FRIENDLY STORAGE-This set of food storage containers bring extra protection to your meals! Our airtight and leakproof lids seal in the freshness like no other. Leftovers or meals made for the week, you can leave your worries behind as soon as you secure these insulated lids! You can pack just anything into these varying-sized stainless steel containers and take them to any occasion. Picnics, camping, lunch at work, doesn’t matter! Prep your heart’s content with each chemical-free container!
- MAGNIFICENT MATERIALS & QUALITY-Our stainless steel food containers are carefully crafted from quality steel that is BPA FREE! Each container lid is equipped with rubber seals that provide airtight storage space for anything you put into containers. These clear lids bring extra convenience so you know exactly what you are grabbing each time, making those rushed moments less stressful. You can also throw our product in the freezer without worrying about any damage to your containers or your meals
- DREAMLIKE CLEAN UP – Our stainless steel design makes clean up a dream. The smooth surface on the inside of each container allows build-up or previous contents to easily slide out when you need them to! You can’t forget the leak-proof lids either, you can rest easy carrying our airtight containers with you everywhere you go! Each container and matching lid are dishwasher safe as well so you can leave the hard scrubbing behind for easy TLC.
- CANCEL OUT THOSE CHEMICALS – Every stainless steel food container in our set kisses the harmful chemicals found in traditional containers goodbye! We put special attention in ridding our storage boxes of all the things that turn food into everything it shouldn’t be. From lead and BPA to PVCs and synthetic xenoestrogens, our containers with freshness sealing lids keep your food secure inside while keeping these outside!
- STACKABLE, STAINLESS STEEL MONEY SAVERS-Given the design for our stainless steel set the various sizes fit comfortably into each other to save space on your shelves or in your cabinets Snugly place containers anywhere in your kitchen and you will be able to conveniently have them all in one place! Other food storage containers usually need to be replaced frequently but our set will go the distance! The quality of the materials used for every set helps each container live up to its reusable title
Baby Food Storage
- Our baby porridge container is made of high-quality, food-safe silicone, is BPA-free and absolutely dimensionally stable. This baby food storage is easy to clean and therefore offers a clear advantage over plastic or glass containers. Baby food containers are suitable for use in the dishwasher, microwave, oven and freezer.
- By simply pressing the bottom, the compartments can be emptied individually without touching the others. The silicone lid has an innovative clip-on design that prevents leaks and spills. The food containers can be stacked easily and neatly in the freezer without sticking. Therefore the baby food storage can save space better.
- You can use this baby food storage as an ice cube tray and add the ice balls to cocktails, orange juice, and whiskey for a cool drink. Also suitable as a pudding or jelly form or as a finger food tray for parties. It has a non-stick coating, so you can bake cupcakes, brownies and cakes in it. The uses are endless!
- The baby food storage is not only useful for the baby but also friendly to the mother. Our lids are soft and durable, which good to seal baby food and easy to open. Also, individual servings pop out easily, dishwasher safe.
Vented Lids Food Storage
- Food storage containers with Easy Find Vented Lids that snap on to the container base as well as same-size lids, so you can always find lids when you need them, and your cabinets stay organized
- Plastic containers are great for meal prep, leftovers, cabinet storage, and more
- Built-in vents are splatter-resistant; Reduces unnecessary clean-ups and messy microwaves
- Thick, durable container walls withstand everyday use and suitable for a wide range of temperatures
- Freezer-, top-rack dishwasher-, and microwave-safe base for easy care; Plastic containers are BPA-free and made with non-toxic plastic
- “Set includes four 3-cup containers and four 5-cup containers with lids”
Make sure to check out my “Fruits & Veggies You Can Freeze” post to learn more about freezing veggies and fruits!
i have tried freezing cream cheese several times, but it always comes out grainy..can’t cook or bake with it either…is there a secret??? TIA
I use a Foodsaver to make it airtight. You can also wrap it in wax paper and then foil and then put in an airtight container. The key is making it moisture free by using an airtight method.
I hope that helps,
I heard you can freeze peanut butter ??? Is this true ????
You can freeze Peanut Butter! That’s a great one!
Why would you freeze things like sugar and flour? They seem to me to have an indefinite shelf life or at least by the time I reach the end it’s still good to go
Often people, especially those who live in rural areas, have problems with bugs getting into the sugar and flour. Like:
sawtoothed grain beetles
granary, rice and maize weevils
So, it’s much safer to keep it in the fridge or freezer. And actually out of the freezer flour has an estimated shelf life of 3-6 months. It can actually go bad. Though, I have never seen it, in certain areas such as very humid areas, it can go bad.
I hope that helps!
Thanks! I live in the Netherlands. Never had any issues with my products on the shelf, even if they’re there longer than 6 months. And no things like flour-eating bugs here either, luckily! I’d definitely freeze stuff if that were to happen 🙂
Learned something new today!
You’re very welcome!