This is the cake that one of my sons asks for each birthday and any other event since he was 13. This is the cake recipe your family will ask you to make over and over again to make. So beware if you cook this once, you’ll be cooking it from here on out. Let’s get started.
Dr Pepper Chocolate Cake
Our youngest just had a birthday last week, he turned 17. He LOVES Dr. Pepper and he mentioned to his girlfriend that he loved Dr. Pepper Cake, so she said she would make him one.
My friend Susan has this fantastic cake recipe, so I gave it to his girlfriend to make for him, and he loved it! So, I thought I would share this yummy recipe here. This tasty cake is such a crowd pleaser it will make your mouth water. This Dr. Pepper cake might even be your new weeknight dessert.
You Might Also Like: Strawberry Gluten Free Cake Recipe
Ingredients the recipe calls for
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 cup Dr. Pepper (to get that Dr Pepper flavor)
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract (I am adding in the extra)
- 1 tsp or just a bit of almond extract
Chocolate Homemade Frosting
- About 2/3 bag of powdered sugar (not a box) How much is that?
- 1 stick real butter or unsalted butter
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1/4 cup of cocoa (to get that chocolate flavor)
- Enough milk for right consistency…roughly 1/4 cup
- 2 tsp. vanilla (this is also a rough estimate because I pour)
Tools You Will need
- Baking Pan
- Plastic Wrap
- Airtight Container
- Large Bowl
- Hand Mixer, Electric Mixer, or Standing Mixer
- Cake Pan, or Sheet Pan
You Might Also Like: Super Simple Last Minute Bake Sale Recipes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift the dry ingredients: flour, sugars, baking soda with cocoa into a large bowl and set aside.
- Pour Dr. Pepper into a saucepan and add chocolate chips. Heat on low, stirring until the chips are just melted. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Combine eggs, buttermilk, oil, vanilla, and almond extract in a mixing bowl and beat with a standing mixer or hand mixer on medium, not low speed, for 2 minutes. Gradually add chocolate/Dr. Pepper mixture while the mixer is running and beat for another minute. Gradually add the flour/sugar mixture. Now you have the cake batter done.
- Divide into either two or three pans. I am into frosting, so I like three thinner layers to get frosting in the middle of each piece of cake. If you do this, make sure you alter your cooking time. It calls for a cooking time of 30-35 minutes for two layers, but I think it only cooked for about 22 minutes with three layers. I always set the timer for less time and check it to take it out AS SOON AS POSSIBLE for optimum moisture. You can also do the toothpick test.
- Freeze the warm cake layers before icing. It would be best if you had a cooled cake, so you don’t get warm frosting that will run all over and off of your cake.
This great cake will be added to your list of easy recipes with its best chocolate frosting and its unique flavor. It will be the talk of the night.
Tiffany. stayart says
Can u send me a recipe of the dr pepper cake
The recipe is in the post. You can print it from there.
I hope that helps!
Bethani Johnson says
Is that wax paper in the pans above?
Yes – you can use wax or parchment.
Can u do the same but with coke????
I haven’t tried it, but, I don’t see why not.
I hope that helps,
so how do I read these 6 comments or the 18 reviews?
We are working on it, there seems to be a technical issue regarding the comments.
Thanks for your patience,
Would this recipe work in a bundt pan or should I adjust the recipe?
I have never made it in a bundt pa. I am not quite sure.
Wish I could be of more help!