Susan is back with another great recipe:
I promise that this Nine Pepper Soup is not as hot as it sounds. I wasn’t really intending to put so many peppers in it…really. It just sort of happened. My goal was a good vegetable and chicken soup…..so….I opened the refrigerator and started pulling stuff out….chopping stuff up. And….I was not disappointed. Threw a little cheese and some tortilla strips on top….and I had the best tasting tortilla soup. My tortilla strips came from HEB and they were FREE….otherwise, just chips would do.
Nine Pepper Soup
Author: Susan Root Merritt
- 2 carrots
- 1/3 large onion
- 1 large jalepeno
- 1 mini yellow bell pepper (or 1/4 large one)
- 1 mini orange bell pepper
- 1 mini red bell pepper
- 1 poblano pepper
- 1/2 cup Verde Sauce (canned or jarred)
- 1 can tomatoes with chiles
- 1/2 cup Chipotle Salsa
- 1 qt chicken broth
- 1 qt water
- 3 celery stalks
- 1small zucchini
- 6 small garlic pods (or 3 larger ones)
- 1/2 rotisserie chicken
- 1 tbsp taco seasoning
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp oil
- Chop all the bell peppers, onion, poblano, carrots, celery, zucchini, and garlic pods.
- Saute the carrots, onions, celery, and zucchini in 1/2 tsp oil first until tender. Set aside.
- Saute the peppers in the rest of the oil, adding the spinach leaves and garlic in after they are almost tender. Stir and cook until the spinach is wilted.
- Boil the rotisserie chicken in water for about 30 minutes to make a good broth. You can use raw chicken for a richer broth but I always use leftover chicken for soups.
- De-bone the chicken.
- Add all the ingredients together and cook until the flavors are melded nicely….maybe 30 minutes.
Hi, my name is Susan and I have only been blogging for a few months but I love it. Permanent Posies (Creative Chaos) is my blog and my subject matter is…well, that depends on the day and the mood. But, for the most part, I love cooking, watching the Food Network, reading cookbooks and, of course, eating. I am also an artist and spend time each week in my studio (bedroom) oil painting. I am a mother of four and a grandmother to 5 and that, along with my husband and 2 dogs, take up my most of my time. I am a side-tracked Home Executive and I had the privilege of being a stay –at-home mom so, you might say that my passion is the home and making a haven for those I love. I am quite skilled at shopping 🙂 and finding a bargain just makes my day.